“I’m glad I chose to go to Chowan and become involved with the Visual Arts program. It has truly been an educational experience for me and has helped me improve not only my artistic abilities,t Exhibitionbut also my
reasoning and social skills.”
- Kimberly Castello
“I earned an Associate Degree in Commercial Art in 1988 right here at what was then known as Chowan College, a two-year junior college. Since my decision to further my degree in art, I have enjoyed the challenge of learning a variety of new techniques and processes. I am very fortunate to have been able to study under the wonderful, talented, and highly acclaimed art professors here at Chowan University.”
- Twyla Duke
- B.A. in Studio Art
- Concentration in: Painting, Printmaking, or Ceramics
- B.S. in Graphic Design
- B.S. in Studio Art
- Concentration in: Painting, Printmaking, or Ceramics
- Pre-Art Therapy Track
- Minor in Studio Art
- Minor in Graphic Design
A Bachelors degree in a Visual Arts field could prepare you to:
- Continue your education in graduate school.
- Work as a designer for a marketing company, graphic design company, or other corporation.
- Work at a non-profit art organization or cultural center.
- Work at an art museum or gallery.
- Begin working as a studio artist.
- Begin freelancing as a graphic designer.
- Continue in the field of art therapy.
Through our innovative portfolio-progressive program, exciting opportunities, and regular gallery exhibits, the Green Hall Department of Visual Art at Chowan University will allow you to hone your artistic skills, craft, and concepts.
The facilities in Green Hall include:
- A fully equipped Mac Lab for art students featuring Adobe Creative Suite software.
- Spacious classrooms for 2D studio work, like drawing.
- Painting and printmaking studios with equipment for those disciplines.
- Ceramics studio with throwing wheels, a kiln, and other work spaces.
- Two art galleries which feature exhibitions by students and professional artists.
- A wood shop to create frames for artwork (coming in Fall 2010).
Chair, Department of Visual Art
Associate Professor of Art
"I am proud to be a part of the art program at Chowan. Art majors here are afforded many unique opportunities, close guidance from faculty, and the benefits of an inviting liberal arts atmosphere."
- M.F.A, Painting, Indiana State University, 2004
- B.F.A, Painting and Drawing, East Carolina University, 2001
- Art Appreciation
- Art History
- Senior Exhibition/ Portfolio
- Special Projects
- 2013: 44th Annual Open Exhibition (national juried exhibition), Montpelier Arts Center/ Maryland State Art Council, Laurel, Maryland
- 2013: Schwa Show 2013 (national juried exhibition), Emerge Gallery, Greenville, North Carolina
- 2012: National Juried Exhibition, Peg Harvill Gallery, Customs House Museum, Clarksville, Tennessee
- 2012: 4th Annual National Juried Exhibition, The Carr Gallery at the Willard Arts Center, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- 2012: 9th Annual Juried Multimedia Exhibition (national juried exhibition), Park Gables Gallery, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- 2012: Human Deconstruction (solo exhibition), Rawls Museum Arts, Courtland, Virginia
- 2011: 2011 Annual Art Exhibition (regional juried exhibition), Suffolk Art Gallery, Suffolk, Virginia
- 2011: Alumni Exhibition, School of Visual Art and Design, East Carolina University (invitational exhibition), Wellington B. Gray Gallery, Greenville, North Carolina
- 2011: 7th Annual Painting, Drawing, and Printmaking Art Competition (national juried exhibition), Palm Beach State College, Lake Worth, Florida
- 2011: Art and Design Society’s 19th Southeast Regional Fine Arts Exhibition, Mattie Kelly Galleries, Northwest Florida State College, Niceville, Florida
- 2010: Art Across the U.S.A. (national juried exhibition), Art Affair Gallery, Sanford, Florida
- 2010: 13th Annual National Juried Show, Gallery West, Alexandria, VA
- 2009: Academy of Fine Arts National Juried Exhibition, Academy of Fine Arts Gallery, Lynchburg, Virginia
- 2009: Broken (National Juried Exhibition), Sixth Street Gallery, Vancouver, Washington
- 2008: Influences and Inspirations: 2nd Annual National Juried Exhibition, Atlanta Fine Arts League Roswell Visual Arts Center Gallery, Roswell, Georgia
- 2008: 21st Annual Juried Art Exhibition (national juried exhibition, South Cobb Art Alliance, Mable House Arts Center Gallery, Mableton, Georgia
- 2008: Rome Art Coterie 6th National Juried Exhibition, Rome Area Council for the Arts Gallery, Rome, Georgia
- 2008: Juried National Art Competition Show, Morton Street Gallery, Richmond, Texas
- 2008: Arts in Harmony 2008: Thirteenth Annual National Juried Art Show, Sherburne County Government Center, Elk River, Minnesota
- 2007: The Art of Sacrifice (national juried exhibition), Altered Esthetics Gallery, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 2007: National Juried Exhibition, Cape Cod Art Association Gallery, Barnstable, Massachusetts
- 2007: Visual Arts Alliance Twenty-Fourth Annual Juried Open Exhibition (national juried exhibition), Allen Center, Houston, Texas
- 2007: Midcoast Fine Arts Exhibition (two-person invitational exhibition), River Center, Davenport, Iowa
- 2007: Conglomerama Spring Juried Exhibition (national juried exhibition), Space 237 Gallery, Toledo, Ohio
- 2006: Fall 2006 Exhibition (national juried exhibition), The American Juried Art Salon, based out of Plano, Texas
- 2006: Venus Envy (regional juried exhibition), Bucktown Center for the Arts, Davenport, Iowa
- 2006: National Annual Juried Art Exhibition, Katie Stauffer Memorial Art and Cultural Center, Richlandtown, Pennsylvania
- 2005: Material Instinct: An Exploration of New and Familiar Materials (national juried exhibition), Santa Cruz Art League Gallery, Santa Cruz, California
- 2005: Windows Exhibition (invitational exhibition), The Attic Gallery, Vicksburg, Mississippi
- 2005: Rotating Exhibition, Retro-Fit Gallery (invitational exhibition), Moscow, Idaho
- 2004: National Society of Arts 22nd Annual Juried Show, Alvin Community College Art Gallery, Santa Fe, Texas
- 2004: 2nd National Williamson County Art Guild and The Downtown Georgetown Association Juried Art Exhibit (national juried exhibition), The Framer’s Gallery, Georgetown, Texas
- 2004: 25th Annual Mountain Juried Art Show (national juried exhibition), St. John on the Mountain, Bernardsville, New Jersey
- 2004: MFA Thesis Exhibition: Works by Craig Kilgore and Carolyn Phillips, University Art Gallery, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Indiana
- 2004: Seventeenth International Annual Exhibition on Animals in Art (national juried exhibition), Library of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- 2004: Tri-State National 42nd Annual Juried Exhibition (national juried exhibition), Beaumont Art League: Brown and Shurlock Galleries, Beaumont, Texas
- 2004: Baker Arts Center 7th National Juried Exhibition, Baker Arts Center, Liberal, Kansas
Professor Phillips' paintings and mixed media pieces have been included in over forty juried and invitational art exhibitions across the United States.
Phillips’ paintings and mixed media pieces are abstract figurative works that explore facets of the human condition.
Anna V. Freeman
Assistant Professor of Visual Art
"At Chowan, I strive to create a balance of support and encouragement along with creative challenges for students in my studio classes."
- M.F.A. Visual Studies, concentration in ceramics.
Old Dominion University and Norfolk State University joint program, Norfolk, VA.
- B.F.A. Ceramics and Printmaking concentrations
Alfred University, New York State College of Ceramics, School of Art + Design, Alfred, NY, Magna Cum Laude
- Ceramics I, II, III, IV and V
- Fundamentals of Drawing
- Figure Drawing
- 3D Design
- Readings in Fine Arts
- Artwork featured in several books:
- Lark Studio Series: Ceramic Sculptures, Lark Books
- Ceramics Today, by Jeffrey B. Snyder
- 500 Ceramic Sculptures, Lark Books
- Image Transfer on Clay, by Paul Andrew Wandless
- "Department of Visual Art Faculty Exhibition," Chowan University, Murfreesboro, NC
- “Rawls Museum Arts 2011 Juried Exhibition,” Rawls Museum Arts, Courtland, VA
- “Inside Outside” National Juried Exhibition, GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, Reading, PA
- “Shaping Earth,” Rawls Museum Arts, Courtland, VA
- “A Growing Consciousness,” solo exhibition, Virginia Wesleyan College, Neil Britton Art Gallery, Norfolk VA
- “Horseplay,” Juried Exhibition, Rawls Museum Arts, Courtland, VA
- “Eyes on the Earth: Sustainability Through the Eyes of Artists,” Anderson Library Gallery, George School, Newtown, PA
- “Faculty Exhibition,” Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Gallery, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- “2009 Rawls Museum Arts Juried Exhibition,” Rawls Museum Arts, Courtland, VA
- “2009 Virginia Wesleyan College Invitational,” Group Exhibition, Neil Britton Art Gallery, Virginia Wesleyan College, Norfolk, VA
- “Of Nature and Necessity,” Two-person Exhibition, The Selden Gallery, Norfolk, VA
- “It’s Only Clay,” National Ceramic Exhibition juried by Linda Christianson, Bemidji Community Art Center, Bemidji, MN
- “Clay Focus,” International Juried Exhibition, Gloria Kennedy Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- “Lillstreet International,” Ceramic Exhibition curated by Sam Chung, Lillstreet Art Center, Chicago, IL
- “Stories From the Earth,” Invitational National Ceramic Exhibition, Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Gallery, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- “Spring Group Exhibition,” Invitational National Exhibition, The Main Street Gallery, Groton, NY
- “8 Fluid Ounces III,” A Bi-annual National Juried/Invitational Cup Show, LSU School of Art Gallery at the Shaw Center for the Arts, Baton Rouge, LA
- “Ingest,” National Juried Exhibition, Athens Institute of Contemporary Art, Athens, GA
- “Fabulous Finishes,” International Juried Exhibition, Gloria Kennedy Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- “Faculty Exhibition,” Old Dominion University, University Gallery, Norfolk, VA
- "Stuff Your Face," National Juried Exhibition, The Main Street Gallery, Groton, NY
- "Evidence and Residues: An Investigation of Contemporary Drawing," National Juried Exhibition, Indiana State University Art Gallery, IN
- "National Small Works Painting Exhibition 2006," The Main Street Gallery, Groton, NY
- "New Art Examined: Works by 2006 M.F.A. Graduates in the Mid-Atlantic Region,"
Arlington Arts Center, VA
- "Consumed," M.F.A. Thesis Exhibition, Old Dominion University Gallery, VA
- "Cup: The Intimate Object IV," juried by Linda Arbuckle, Charlie Cummings Clay Studio & Gallery, IN
- "Emerging Artists-Faculty Select," College of William and Mary, VA
- "26th Annual Paper In Particular National Exhibition," Columbia College, MO
- Doris Conover Award, Rawls Museum Arts, Courtland, VA | 2009
- Margaret Harlow Collection Purchase Award, Bemidji State University | 2008
- Wild Water Rapids Visual Studies Grant | 2004
- Purchase Award, Printmaking, Alfred University | 2001
Curtis Bryant Loftis
Associate Professor of Graphic Design
"Making a difference in the lives of students as artists, designers and human beings. The Greek philosopher Aristotle said we have 3 kinds of friends: 1. Those we work with, 2. Those we play with, and 3. Those who call us to a higher purpose. I hope to be all three. Character development is as important as learning from a textbook."
- Bachelors of Visual Arts, Graphic Design, Georgia State University
- MFA Studies, Graphic Design, Academy of Art University, San Francisco, CA
- Masters of Fine Art, Graphic Design, 2013,Vermont College of Fine Art
- Concept Development
- Graphic Design
- Art History
- Art Appreciation
- Digital Applications
- Digital Pre Prep
- Digital Print Production
- Advertising Design
- Design Fundamentals
- Digital Photography
- Adweek Magazine "Art Director of the Year"
- British Art Director's Club
- Atlanta Art Director’s Club
- Toronto Art Director's Club
- Cannes Film Festival, France
- New York Cleo Awards
- Communication Arts magazine
- New York Addy Adwards
- Print Magazine
- The One Show, New York
- New York Art Director's Club
- Hollywood International Broadcasting Awards