Stay current on CU Academics:
>Academic Calendar 2012-2013
>Spring Exam Schedule 2013
>Spring Schedule 2013
>Fall Exam Schedule 2012
>Fall Schedule 2012
>Perspectives - Spring 2013
>Perspectives - Fall 2012
>Academic Affairs Newsletter
“The Physical Education program is very interested in the success of their students. They provide a strong focus on diversity and the importance of being a life-long learner. We get to participate with schools around the county to interact with the children and play many different games with them, even before we graduate.”
- Mary Tolson, 2009 Physical Education graduate
Turn your passion for sports into a fulfilling career in Physical Education, passing along your knowledge and talents to your students.
Chowan University offers a specialized curriculum to prepare students for successful careers in teaching physical education content and activities in Kindergarten through 12th grade.
Teach the next generation fitness and nutrition that will
serve them for a lifetime!
At Chowan University, Physical Education majors have the chance to work first-hand with students of all ages - from local elementary and secondary schools to university students on Chowan's campus.
One of the main ways Chowan University distinguishes itself from others’ programs is our partnerships with area public schools allowing Education majors to:
Click on the image to view the latest
|William Thomas Collins
Associate Professor of Sport Management
Chair of Sport Studies and Physical Education
“Developing a Professional Perspective,” is a consistent theme that I focus on when working with SSPE majors at Chowan University. Adopting a professional perspective influences how students approach their course work, their extracurricular activities and their relationships with fellow students and instructors. Throughout our program we emphasize three aspects of a professional perspective: 1) professional preparation, 2) professional attitude and 3) professional development. Our ultimate objective is to develop a program where our graduates pursue not only jobs, but fulfilling careers in the sport industry. "
- Ed.D., Higher Education, North Carolina State University
- M.A. Ed., Sports Administration, East Carolina University
- B.S., Social Studies, Campbell University
- SSPE 280 Introduction to Sport Management
- SSPE 430 Legal and Ethical Principles of Sport Management
- SSPE 475 Sport Marketing and Public Relations
- SSPE 479 Seminar
- SSPE 490 Internship
Collins, William Thomas (2012). Key Actor Perceptions of Athletics Strategy (Doctoral dissertation). North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.
|Seok Yoon, PhD.
“Education is knowing where to go to find out what you need to know; and its knowing how to use the information you get."
- Dr. Seok Yoon received his B.S. degree in Physical Education from Yonsei
- University in Seoul, Korea. He received his Master’s degree in Exercise
- Physiology at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.
He earned his doctoral degree in the area of Health Physical Activity Behavior at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
Dr. Yoon joined to work at Chowan in 2008.
- Research and Evaluation in PE and Exercise Science
- Exercise Physiology
Yoon, S. (2004). “Resistance exercise and resting metabolic rate.” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 75(1), A-15.
Instructor of Sports Studies & Physical Education
Coordinator for Physical Education/
“I am looking forward to teaching in the SSPE Department and working with Chowan students. I feel my experience in teaching, administration, counseling, coaching and consulting will be of great asset in preparing students for their future careers.”
- Otterbein College - B.A. Health and Physical Education
- Xavier University of Ohio – M.Ed. Health and Physical Education
- Xavier University of Ohio – M.Ed. Guidance and Counseling
- Foundations of Physical Education and Sport
- Administration of Physical Education and Sport
- Methods of Teaching Health and P. E. in the Elementary School
- Methods of Teaching Health and P .E. for the Middle and Secondary School
- Teaching Individual and Dual Sports
- Teaching Team Sports
- Adapted Physical Education
- Directed Student Teaching in Health and Physical Education
- Rolling Hills Schools (Ohio) Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame
- Tiffin University Athletic Hall of Fame