Image of a Students

student documents

See the following links for helpful student documents.

>Student Handbook
>Housing Preference Form
>Residence Life Calendar
>Medical History Form
>Commuter Application Form

You and Your Advisor:
Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Advising
  2. Issues You Should Discuss with Your Advisor
  3. Issues of Particular Importance to Freshmen
  4. Issues Important to All Students
  5. Issues Specific to International Students
  6. Issues Specific to Student Athletes
  7. The Honors College and Achieving Academic Honors

II. Issues You Should Discuss with Your Advisor

Click numbered boxes to open and close answers.

1. How do I know if I got credit for my AP (Advanced Placement), IB (International Baccalaureate), or CLEP (College Level Examination Program) credits?
AP, IB, and CLEP scores are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar upon admission to the university. If you were awarded Chowan credit, a report to that effect was sent directly to you, and the credit will be posted to your Chowan transcript early in the following semester. Refer to your University catalog to see criteria for awarding credit (listed in the index under Transfer Credits). If you have any questions regarding this process please contact the Registrar's Office.

2. How do I know what the graduation requirements are for my major?
Refer to the appropriate section for your major in the academic catalog. You may elect to change from the catalog year in which you entered the university to the current catalog year at the time of graduation. If you elect to change to the current catalog year, you must notify the Registrarís Office at the time you apply to graduate or when you request a graduation workup.

3. Which catalog do I follow?
You follow the degree requirements for your chosen major listed in the catalog in effect in the semester you begin studies. New catalogs go into effect June 1st and are available at the beginning of the fall term. If changes are made to your major in a later catalog, you may choose to switch to that catalog; however, you must meet all the new degree requirements for graduation according to that catalog. You may also switch majors to one that becomes available in a new catalog; again, you must meet all the degree requirements of that catalog. You will need to work closely with your advisor to ensure you meet all of the new requirements, including any changes in the General Education requirements. You must inform the Registrarís office of which catalog you are following at the time you apply to graduate or when you request a graduation work-up.

4. If I leave Chowan, either for personal reasons or because of suspension, may I still use my original catalog or do I have to switch to the catalog in effect the semester I return?

If you have a break in enrollment of more than one semester, you must begin again with the catalog in effect at the time you return to Chowan.

If you take more than six years to graduate, you must graduate under the requirements of the most recent catalog Ė the one in effect at the time your graduate. (After six years, you lose the right to use the catalog in effect at the time you entered Chowan.)

5. Where do I get the Class Schedule so I can be prepared for my advising meeting?
The class schedule is available online through Campus Web (use the Course Search link in the Academics tab). A PDF of course selections is also posted on the bottom right side of the Chowan University Academics Web site each semester. Information on registration, fees, academic requirements, and advising is included in the Academic Catalog.


> Return to 'You and Your Advisor' start page

Return to Top

Copyright © Chowan University. All RIGHTS RESERVED. All trademarks mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.