How to apply

Students applying for Federal Student Aid must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (unless you are from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
  • Be registered with the Selective Service if you are a male and 18 to 25 years of age.
  • Have a high school diploma or General Education Development Certificate (GED) or passed an exam approved by the US Department of Education.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at a school that participated in the Federal Student Aid Program.
  • Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid such as grants, loans or work-study.
  • Must not owe a refund on a Federal Grant or be in default on a Federal Student Loan.

To apply for federal student aid you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at The FAFSA asks for financial information about you and your family, like income and asset information, as well as your academic background. You will need the following information to complete the FAFSA:

  • Your Federal Tax Return for the prior tax year and corresponding W-2 forms
  • Your spouse's Federal Tax Return for the prior tax year and corresponding W-2 forms (if applicable)
  • Your parents' Federal Tax Return and corresponding W-2 forms (if you are dependent)

Each student and parent must have a unique FSA ID and password in order to apply for Financial Aid. Visit to obtain your FSA ID and set your password.

Chowan University’s school code 002916. Please be sure that you review your FAFSA for accuracy before it is submitted.


FAFSA is the common acronym for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You can access the application online at You fill out the FAFSA each year you plan to enroll in school. You can begin filling out your FAFSA on January 1 each year.

After you apply

The Financial Aid Office begins processing FAFSAs in November for the upcoming school year. We will electronically receive your FAFSA within 3 business days of it being submitted. If your FAFSA is selected for verification our office will notify you and request any additional documentation.

Once we receive your FAFSA, we will develop a financial aid package for you based on the information provided. Your award package will outline the various types of aid for which you may qualify. This may include a combination of the following:

  • Academic scholarships
  • Need-based grants
  • Institutional grants
  • Federal loans
  • Work-study

We will send award packages out beginning in March. Once you have received an award package, we encourage you to accept or decline your awards within two weeks.

Selected for Verification?

Verification is a review process designed to improve the accuracy of the information submitted on the FAFSA.

Summer Financial Assistance

The summer school course schedule is normally published in late March of each year. At the same time, the Financial Aid Office sends out the “Summer School Application for Financial Aid” to all students with a Chowan email address. Listed below is the process students must complete in order to receive financial aid for summer. Most students use loans in summer session. The Chowan University grants are only for fall and spring semesters. You must take at least 6 credits to qualify for federal loans.

  • Complete the Summer School Application. 
  • Financial Aid will review the grades, grade level, and the summer application to determine your eligibility for summer financial aid.
  • The Financial Aid Office will email your Chowan email account regarding the status of your summer financial aid eligibility. If you are notified that an award letter is ready for you, come by the Financial Aid Office and sign. Once you have signed all financial aid forms (or a parent signature if necessary) the Financial Aid Office will give you an approval sheet to take to the Business Office.
  • The Business Office will then approve your registration if it appears that your tuition and fees will be paid.
  • Take the paper registration form, with FA and BO signatures to the Registrar’s Office to officially register for summer session.
  • Once the last day to add a class has passed for summer registration, we will make any necessary corrections to your aid package. If there is a change to the number of hours you are taking, you may be required to sign an updated award letter.
  • Federal Direct Loans that are offered to a student as a TERM Loan are required to be disbursed in two separate installments. It is a federal requirement that the second installment occur after the midpoint of the semester.

Additional Help

We know there's a lot of paperwork associated with Financial Aid. We're happy to help you keep it organized. Check your MyCU account to see your updated status at any time. You can also visit our Facebook page to see what's new and upcoming with Financial Aid.